Halloween
This year for Halloween I decided our family would be characters from Disney's Tangled. Cheesy I know, but I figure I only get one maybe two more years of me deciding what my whole family gets to be :) I love preparing for Halloween because I always sew our costumes and this year was no exception.
Our little K1 was the beloved and gallant horse. I found the 'base' of his costume in August for 5 bucks. It initially was a white Unicorn. I really should have taken a picture of it. It washideous interesting. The costume was a white horse with a gold horn... and pink blob mane fur...pink long blob tail..and pink wings. I promptly unpicked the horn, furs, and wings. I picked up from white tassel fringe from Joann's as well as buttons and brown ribbon. See the Maximus medallion? I reused the unicorn horn fabric. :) I felt crafty.

Next: Pascal. Sister was obviously perfect for the part. I found a zip up, hooded, sweatshirt footie thing in olive green. I sewed on eyes and a curly tail. Sadly, everyone thought she was a frog. *sigh* oh well.
I obviously wanted to be Rapunzel because of my long, flow-y, blonde, AWESOME hair :) ------>
kidding.
Annnnyway.
I had an old high school dance dress that was purple. It wasn't completely modest, but that was okay because the bodice of my dress would be remade to look like Rapunzel's (which was modest :)). I found some cheap purple fabric and pink ribbon and set to work. It was so fun and weird to make this piece and have to fit it myself. I ended up cutting out pieces I knew were too big and would then fit them to myself with pins. Someone in my ward had a grommit punch and kindly let me borrow it for the lace up holes. It's definitely not perfect, but it worked. I was pleased for my first major, no pattern item for myself. Go me!
Lastly, Flynn Rider. PC was a good sport and played the last part for us. He wore some khakis, cowboy boots, white shirt and multiple belts. I sewed him a quick blue vest (no pattern again) from cheap fabric remnants at Joann's. Score!
All in all, I had a lot of fun sewing these.
It was fun to show them off at the ward trunk o' treat. My visiting teaching partner came up to me and said, 'Man, you guys go all out and rent your costumes eh?' I beamed and told her no, but that I made them. I was also fun to be one of SEVEN Rapunzels there. Granted, all the rest of them were below the age of 8 :). One little girl dragged her mom across the room to come look at me and say, 'The real Rapunzel came!!'. Happy day.
First up: Maximus.
Our little K1 was the beloved and gallant horse. I found the 'base' of his costume in August for 5 bucks. It initially was a white Unicorn. I really should have taken a picture of it. It was
Next: Pascal. Sister was obviously perfect for the part. I found a zip up, hooded, sweatshirt footie thing in olive green. I sewed on eyes and a curly tail. Sadly, everyone thought she was a frog. *sigh* oh well.
Look at that Ham and Cheeser. Who couldn't love that?
kidding.
Annnnyway.
I had an old high school dance dress that was purple. It wasn't completely modest, but that was okay because the bodice of my dress would be remade to look like Rapunzel's (which was modest :)). I found some cheap purple fabric and pink ribbon and set to work. It was so fun and weird to make this piece and have to fit it myself. I ended up cutting out pieces I knew were too big and would then fit them to myself with pins. Someone in my ward had a grommit punch and kindly let me borrow it for the lace up holes. It's definitely not perfect, but it worked. I was pleased for my first major, no pattern item for myself. Go me!
All in all, I had a lot of fun sewing these.
It was fun to show them off at the ward trunk o' treat. My visiting teaching partner came up to me and said, 'Man, you guys go all out and rent your costumes eh?' I beamed and told her no, but that I made them. I was also fun to be one of SEVEN Rapunzels there. Granted, all the rest of them were below the age of 8 :). One little girl dragged her mom across the room to come look at me and say, 'The real Rapunzel came!!'. Happy day.



Comments