Mom, Great Falls and Flooding

The title sounds like an interesting mix, doesn't it?
  A week after we moved my Mom called me (this was a Friday) and
said," Can I come visit you tomorrow?" 
(me) "What?!"
(Mom) "I have some sky miles that are going to expire, so can I come visit you?"
(me) "Of course!!!!"
At the end of our conversation is was fun to say, "see you tomorrow!"

Our flooded tennis court.  Note the tree line

It was so random and so fun at the same time.  My mom came to just hang out (and see our new place).  She brought with her a BBC series called Larkrise to Candleford  (I totally recommend it!).  We watched at least two episodes each night.  It was refreshing to laugh and talk about details together.  Our game plan was to hit a few museums and walk around the monuments.  We didn't go Saturday because she had just arrived, we didn't go Sunday because we chose to go the Great Falls National Park (pictures further down), and I discouraged us from going Monday because it was Labor Day and would inevitably be crawling with people.  She wasn't leaving until Friday so I figured we had Tuesday through Thursday to go see these things. 

I was wrong. 

The water was a foot away from the road.
Hurricane Lee swept through and it rained HARD for 3 and a half days straight.  The man made lake by us rose at least 5 feet and almost flooded the road.  I was a little concerned because that road is our only outlet.
Anyhoo, we survived and the rain stopped right as I dropped my mom off at the airport.  Guess she'll have to come visit us again ;)

Here are some photos from Great Falls National Park.



 like mother,
like daughter :)

These next pictures were taken on Thursday before my institute class (in which my mom accompanied me)
 K1 suited up for the rain- I LOVE his galoshes.  I got them when he was 4 months old and saved them for almost 2 years.  I'm so pathetic (at least they were a screamin' deal :))
 Running through the water.  I emptied out his boots three times! Not because he was uncomfortable from being wet, but because they were weighing him down.  I love my kid.
He's so cute.

Comments

Popular Posts