(Not?) Learning About Consequences
I thought I'd post a quick anecdote about K1 while I am home from church with him as he recovers from being sick. We've been trying to teach him the consequences of doing/not doing certain things. For example, if he is eating a cracker and does not want to do so at the table, our conversation goes something like this:
me: "K1, if you don't stay at the table to eat that, I will have to take it away until you stay at the table."
K1: [slowly continues to slide out of his chair...]
me: "I will count to three, and then if you aren't in your chair I will take your food away."
K1: [keeps sliding, looking at me the whole time]
me: "One..."
K1: "Two..."
me: [trying not to laugh] "Three."
And this is when he usually complies with the request. A happy counter, impatient consequence-seeker, or obedient rebel? That is the question. Until I figure it out, I'll be left hiding my laughter each time he helps in counting towards the consequence.
me: "K1, if you don't stay at the table to eat that, I will have to take it away until you stay at the table."
K1: [slowly continues to slide out of his chair...]
me: "I will count to three, and then if you aren't in your chair I will take your food away."
K1: [keeps sliding, looking at me the whole time]
me: "One..."
K1: "Two..."
me: [trying not to laugh] "Three."
And this is when he usually complies with the request. A happy counter, impatient consequence-seeker, or obedient rebel? That is the question. Until I figure it out, I'll be left hiding my laughter each time he helps in counting towards the consequence.


Comments
Cute Alex.
I love the pictures of the two of them together....so sweet!
Good luck with that one! LOL