The First Month

I figure I probably should get on the ball and record a few things about Sister's life. That first month was such a blur. I had K1's schedule down pat. He was easy, but all of a sudden I had a wild card! I knew babies slept all the time, but I was trying to bring some predictability to my life and get this girl on a schedule. I should have stopped trying so hard, because she eventually regulated herself around 6 weeks. Oh well :)

It's amazing to me how much and how fast babies grow. By her three day appointment she'd grown half an inch (20.5'' total to be exact) and at two weeks she had gained more than a pound (8lb 3oz on 4/1/11). I remember feeling so relieved at that appointment because she would only ever eat on one side per feeding and wouldn't take more than five to seven minutes. For a newborn that is FAST! She seemed to be growing at a healthy rate so I stopped worrying.
As a side note: I was so grateful to all the people who brought us food. I think we had 5 meals brought to us. Pictured was some delicious Lebanese food :) My mother also was amazing and stocked our freezer with meals that fed us for over a month. She saved my family... we would have starved, or lived on pizza (which would have gotten old, fast!)
PC's work was also kind and sent a few gifts. This was one of them. An Edible Arrangement. I honestly had never heard of them. When I unwrapped it I just stared at it for a few moments. I didn't quite know what to think of it. I then started laughing and preceded to help myself to some fruit. :) They also sent a fun monogrammed blanket with Sister's name and birthday on it. I think she'll really love it someday because it will be her blanket because it says so.
Sister has been a great sleeper. From the beginning she would do four hour stretches at night. We did move her from our room to the nursery sooner than we thought because she would grunt in her sleep and keep us up. Thankfully, her grunting didn't keep K1 up and they've done great being in the same room. They seem to sleep through each others crying and midnight wake-ups. What a blessing! She does manage to find her way into our bed some mornings, sneaky little bugger. Also, I've discovered that she sleeps best on her side. I now have to put something against her back to keep her propped up.
It's been interesting for me to note the differences between having a boy and girl. Sister smiled at 4 weeks and was pretty consistent after that, whereas K1 smiled a little after one month, but he didn't do it very often, and usually just for me. Sister will smile for anyone given enough time. Also, Sister is much more verbal. K1 would just cry for everything. Sister complains first. It's funny to listen to. It sounds like she's saying "Someone, come help me. I really don't feel very well. No seriously guys, I'm going to just get louder until someone gives me some attention." I love it.
K1 has been very sweet to Sister since she arrived. There would be many times where he would see her lying on her blanket and sweetly place each side of the blanket on top of her (a loose swaddle), pat it for good measure, and walk away. Too sweet. He would also try to put her binky in her mouth when she cries.
This is Sister's Blessing dress. I'll devote a post to her blessing, but I had to include one picture of it. :) I think I spent about 30 hours on this sucker. This is the hardest sewing project I've attempted and I think it turned out cute.
We love Sister and her sweet disposition. I feel so lucky that my babies are so... normal :)

Comments

Kiley said…
She is so darling! I can't believe that blessing dress - it's amazing!!!
Kelli said…
What cute kids! You did not make that dress!!! I am super impressed! Great work, it's beautiful. I hope you're doing well. I'm also impressed that your kids are sharing a room. I'm afraid Lincoln would wake up Jules. Luckily we have three bedrooms now, but I would still like them to share rooms at some time. I think it's good for them.

Popular Posts