21 Months

Yeah, yeah... I know that K1 will be 23 months this week, and that I'm WAY behind on my blogging, but I'm anal and need to do things in chronological order. Humor me.
I have to say that after I took this picture, I cried a little because I looked at the picture and said," The baby is gone". I don't know how it happened, but it did. :( I can't think of too many major things that happened in K1's life that month. He receded in his verbal skills , had some weird stomach ailment (threw up 6 times in a two weeks) and we took away his pacifier.
I'm so grateful that I trained K1 to play by himself from an early age. That doesn't mean I don't play with him, it just means he can be self entertained. Here he is, peacefully reading his 'mighty machines' book that has pictures of, well, machines (boats, trucks, cars, trains, airplanes, etc) He can look at that book for 20 minutes at a time. It's so funny, he will point to anything with wheels and exclaim 'cah!', or car. The vacuum, bikes, the bottom rack of the dishwasher, strollers, carts at the store... you get the idea. We'd been trying to get him to expand to bus, truck, train, van...anything, but only 'cah' would stick. Oh well.
K1 loves to be wherever we are, and as you can see from this picture, he's cooking with me in the kitchen. I set up a tall bucket on the other side of the counter for him to stand on and watch what I'm doing. This happens to be next to the spice rack and he likes to sort and roll the bottles around. If he's not doing that, he's crawling inside the cupboards, or pulling out all the pots.
I think this is the last picture I have of K1 and his binky. We've been wanting to take it away from him for a while, but felt so mean doing it, esp since it's one of his few coping devices. Anyway, I discovered that K1 was yelling out in the night and that his bed would sometimes smell funny. It wasn't vomit or urine, so I just wrote it off as sweat. I was wrong. It was blood. He was chewing his binky and the inside of his cheek. By the time I discovered what was going on, it was really bad. I felt sick to my stomach. We took it away that night, and put him on a liquid diet for a few days to let it heal up. Interestingly, he did just fine going to sleep at bed and naptime, it was when he would wake up in the middle that he would be inconsolable. It was awful the first week or two (I can't remember now). He would wake up 45 minute into his nap and just SCREAM!!!!!!! I literally couldn't do anything to console him. We'd sing, go outside, try to eat a snack (or even a marshmallow!), I'd put on 'cars' the movie, NOTHING would work. He was just scream and cry for about an hour and half and then move on. Like I said, it was terrible. Anyway, we're past that and he's officially weaned from the binky.
K1 has been so lucky to play with his friends more often. Here he's reading books with his friend Gabbi. I've been going to an Institute class for moms on Thursdays where he gets to play with his friends, and then I also participate in an exercise swap on Tuesdays and Fridays, where he also gets to play with his friends. Sadly, he's still not used to going to nursery. He cries a lot and has to be taken out and walked around. I don't blame him, 30 kids plus 7 adults in one room is pretty overwhelming.
Also, this kid loves to be outside. I'm a bad mom because I don't take him out enough. It's hard having Sister strapped to me all the time and not being able to adequately chase after him. Thankfully, we found a park that is fenced in, mostly shaded, has a variety of equipment, toys, a huge sand box to play in and isn't ever crowded. We're still trying to train him not scream and flail as we're leaving. *sigh* I know, I really should get over my ego, but no one likes being the person trying to handle one, and then two screaming children. Hence why we don't go as often as we should. I'm selfish, I know. I'm working on it.
And here he is chillin' in the tub. I bought these foam letters that stick to the walls. Most of them have teeth marks in them already. Ha. What a kid. I think we'll keep him. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts