Three Weeks Down...
The rest of my life to go. No really, I feel pretty good that I've survived this far. I've been reflecting a lot about the whole process (delivery, coming home, adjusting...). It makes sense that most women have someone like their mother or a best friend come and help them because no one else could put up with a post pregnancy woman and still love her afterward. HA! My emotions were so hot and cold for the first several days that I came home. My poor, brave mother. She was so wonderful. Sympathizing with all my complaints and just silently helping me. She's a good woman. I was so sad to see her leave. I suppressed crying several times in the car ride home, but finally lost it while reading a book to K1 (a book about flamingos, weird...).
Going to church for the first time (only for sacrament). Sister was almost 2 weeks old and wearing one of my baby dresses.
Thankfully, that first week after my mom left was a relatively uneventful week. I guess I was content to stay home and didn't feel any rush to go anywhere and therefore things went smoothly. The following week (or this past week) was much more difficult. I was getting cabin fever but hated going out because K1 was/is SO difficult going to and from the car. He won't go down the stairs and then when we get outside he runs away. It makes me upset just thinking about it. I'd like to think that I'm a pretty patient parent, but somehow this situation gets me every time. Anyhoo, I'm trying to adjust my expectations (he is only 20 months, after all) and give myself PLENTY of time to get to the car. One day at a time (or one outing at a time...).
Honestly, I feel the 'freedom to go places factor' has been the hardest adjustment for me. I think I can handle having two kids. I thought our nighttime routine would be difficult, but K1 has taken the changes in stride, meaning, he doesn't mind that Sister is in his room while he falls asleep, even when she makes little noises. I also feel lucky that I've been able nap while both kids sleep (I'd die if I didn't).
K1 is very sweet to Sister. What a blessing. I knew he would be. He has such a kind disposition. Most of the time he just ignores her, which I'm also fine with. He usually isn't interested in her unless I'm holding her. A cute thing to note, if Sister starts crying and I'm not around (ex. in the shower) K1 will start crying too and come find me. K1 will start crying if other kids are crying but I didn't think a newborn's cry would set him off. Such a empathetic kid.
I'm so grateful to PC. He's been extremely helpful. Did I mention he's the best husband ever? Almost every morning he's delayed going to work for an hour so that I can sleep in a little and take a shower before he leaves. That small gesture has been SO helpful to me both physically and emotionally.
Sister visiting Daddy's office for the first time, taking a snooze on his bookshelf :)
So I guess you could say we are doing okay. Some days are better than others. We are so glad that Sister has joined our family and look forward to many happy days with her now in the mix :)
Sister visiting Daddy's office for the first time, taking a snooze on his bookshelf :)So I guess you could say we are doing okay. Some days are better than others. We are so glad that Sister has joined our family and look forward to many happy days with her now in the mix :)


Comments
Or maybe keep a stocked diaper bag in the car, that way you have one less thing to carry out when you go.
Or call your friend Heidi and have her come along on your outings (I need to go grocery shopping etc too!) to help with the toddler wrangling!
It is hard to feel trapped in your home by a toddler. I sympathize. Soon your little man will adjust and you will be out and about. It just takes practice. However, you are smart to know your not in the mood to push him/yourself.
(((BIG HUGS)))