K1: 11-18 months

Terrible, I know, that I haven't done a single post highlighting all of the milestones that K1 has hit before now. This is my effort to record some of the important things that happened. *note* this is a LONG post with lots of pictures. Prepare yourself.
11 mo: Hanging out in the backpack.
11 mo: Here comes Diaper Man!!
11 mo: We can never get enough of those big blues

Our sweet little boy started walking 2 weeks before his 1st birthday. Also around the same time he started saying 'dada' and actually meaning 'Dad' half the time. The first time I knew that K1 knew what 'dada' meant was when PC was getting out of the shower and opened the bathroom door and K1 exclaimed "DADA!" and ran to greet him. It was pretty cute. He still was saying 'mamam' for when he was hungry (even though I so badly wanted it to mean me). Around his first birthday we started giving him cow's milk in the mornings. Interestingly, he wouldn't drink it in a sippy cup, only a bottle. What's more interesting is that he never liked drinking my milk from a bottle. Weird. K1 also started mastering some of the shapes on his shape sorter and some of his easier puzzles. He could open ziplock bags and unscrew loose lids. Nothing was safe from him now! One last thing: During this month, we gave K1 scrambled eggs and his body protested by covering him in hives. We got him tested 6 months later and, sure enough, poor thing is allergic to eggs. I now have to carry an Epi Pen with me. The thought of ever having to use it freaks me out.

Here are the stats for his 12 month check up: 29.5'' tall, 18.8 lbs, and 18.5'' head circumference
12 mo: I took this shot because I have one just like it with K1 at 3 months :)
12 mo: K1:Hey mom! Look what I can do :)
MC: But can you get your foot out of there now? Hee hee
12 mo: Being helpful around the house
12 mo: Illustrating the point I made above, a sippy of water and a bottle of milk. Funny kid.
12 mo: I know I have too many 'eye' shots, but they are so pretty. I can't help that they're my favorite :)
12 mo: I will forever love this crouching position. I will be so sad when he out grows it.

The only major thing that happened at 13 months was that K1 was completely weaned from me and transferred to cow's milk. It was bittersweet. I was ready for us to stop nursing and yet I knew I would miss the closeness and that another 'baby element' of my sweet boy was gone forever. I guess it's also worth noting that K1 could climb anything his height at this point.
13 mo: At the park

Fourteen months seemed to hold many changes! K1 started saying his first words: Down 'dow', more 'mo', thank you 'tatoo', water 'wa', and I finally got added to the list 'momom'. He even said 'shoe' clear as day twice and in the right context. PC actually heard him say that one, and therefore believed me that our son was finally talking. Interestingly, this phase only last 3ish weeks. After that, all the words except mom and dad disappeared. K1's first molar started emerging at the end of this month. Oh, and he got his first haircut from Sharise Anderson in our ward. She mostly cleaned up the ends to give him a mop-top. :)
14 mo: His beacon blue eyes
14 mo: He's our super man
14 mo: At a bbq and happily playing with the toys outside
14 mo: wanting to be like mommy and wear a purse.

Fifteen months also brought many changes (for the better). Even though K1 stopped talking, he did finally catch on to some sign language. In a matter of days he could sign 'please', 'thank you', 'more' and 'down'. He also could wave, blow kisses and fold his arms when asked. I believe this was also when we started teaching him where body parts where. The only one he understood and could find was his belly button. I'm pretty sure he understood that one quicker because he loved to find my outtie belly button (and it was hard to miss mommy's belly at this point;)). K1 had two more molars emerge this month. Granted, when I say emerge, I mean they just broke the surface. It took his molars a long time to fully come in.

I like the picture below because it shows that K1 is finally getting into books. I'd been trying to read him books for a while, but his attention span couldn't handle it (except for peek-a-who). Also, I don't think he understood the idea of books before this point. He it shows that he knows how to hold them and that you turn the pages. It was a cool moment for me anyway. I'm pretty sure it was this month that I caught him standing on his shape sorter to get onto the coffee table. That showed me he knew that he could stand on stuff to get to other stuff. Sadly, I was right. Speaking of getting into stuff, this month K1 really liked getting into cupboards. He would clear them out and then get in. It's been a lot of fun actually. It does get very messy, but I think it's cute.

I haven't mentioned anything in the way of food. K1 was willing to try just about anything, but that doesn't mean he would like it. He hadn't been to keen on veggies. The only veggies he would eat consistently and by themselves were corn and cucumbers. He loved bananas and strawberries (we had strawberries every morning for a while) and grapefruit (he's totally my kid). He's a carbs kid. He would (and still does) eat crackers, bread, pasta, rice and potatoes (if they were mashed). He wasn't a big fan of chicken, but would eat ground beef if seasoned well. That's all I can remember for now.

15 month checkup stats: 31.5'' tall, 23.7 lbs, and 19'' head circumference
15 mo: reading in the rocking chair
15 mo: pulling out the drawer to then get on top of the nightstand. Little stinker.
15 mo: Sitting on his tray. He loves to sit on or in things, even is they might not be comfortable-like shoes. Funny kid.
15 mo: trying to fit in the cupboard with all its contents.
15 mo: CAUGHT! on the table eating saltines.
15 mo: How he managed to get inside this box without tipping it over is beyond me. And yes, I just found him sitting in there during a moment of him being 'too quiet'.
15 mo: Oh hi mom! Come to join me? It's really nice in here.

The only thing that sticks out to me in terms of K1's 16th month are his teeth! He popped FIVE teeth. At the beginning of the month he popped his last molar. Then he popped one of his canines. Four to five days later he popped another canine. Five days later another one popped and then one week later that last one came through. We had one miserable, drooly, chapped-chin kid for the month of December. I think I also set up his toddler bed this month but only to let him play on it and get acquainted with it. We still haven't tried to get him to sleep in it (he moves sooo much!) I also gave K1 his second haircut before we headed to Utah to visit family. His hair grows so darn fast. The sides and back looked okay, but I couldn't figure out how to do the top, not to mention he was constantly turning his head. Oh well. I'll get it soon enough.
16 mo: Poor thing was so tired that he fell asleep on the floor
16 mo: I know the lighting is terrible in this picture, but I loved that his piercing eyes still shone through. What this picture was supposed to be capturing was that K1 was trying to wear one of my pink shirts. I thought it was funny.
16 mo: K1 playing with his best friend, Henry. Too cute.
16 mo: K1 stripped down after eating a dinner of spaghetti.
16 mo: Yeah for taco salad (and getting REALLY messy, or so I thought)
16 mo: Taking a nap with Daddy. (He never does this with me. I'm slightly jealous)

Seventeen months was a turning point in terms of communication for K1. He started talking right after he turned 17 months. We were still staying at my parents when he started talking. His first 'word' was 'uh oh'. The next one was 'hi' and 'cah' or car soon followed after. Over the course of the month his vocabulary has boomed. He can say: up, wow, 'mo' more, mom, 'reh' red, dada, 'ruff' (dog noise), 'raw' (lion noise), boy, 'gir' girl, 'ahm' arm, hot, pop, 'tank you' thank you, yeah, 'nah' no, 'chs' cheese, 'jee' jesus, 'at' that, and today poop was added, much to my surprise.

In terms of diet, I started giving K1 harder fruits and veggies to try. If he's in the mood he'll now eat pear and apple slices and carrot sticks. I can already feel the snack horizon getting larger :) He also grasped the idea of taking bites out of things. It may sound strange, but K1 would only ingest things that were already bite size. If we gave him a whole banana, he would put his mouth over it, but not take a bite. Now he can. Hooray. He liked PB&J sandwiches for a little bit there, but now he won't touch them (well he just plays with it). Hopefully he'll start liking them again so he can have more sandwich variety at lunch.
17 mo: I caught him like this. Normally I get upset when he touches my laptop, but this was too cute. I love that his dog 'rusty' was with him too.
17 mo: Now THIS is a mess. All the smeared stuff is what I call goulash, or a lasagna bake.
17 mo: Happily reading one of his books.
17 mo: Helping daddy study.
17 mo: Helping mommy cook. We bought him a stool that he now uses in the kitchen and in the bathroom.
17 mo: I hid his stool and he therefore found his own. Lovely.
17 mo: K1 loves my salad spinner. He loves putting his toys inside and pushing the top down. This however was a first. I think he wanted to go for a spin :) Oh wow I love my puns.
17 mo: I didn't catch the full awesomeness of this photo. When I first caught K1, the scotch tape was stretched and stuck to various points on our dresser. It was pretty funny.
17 mo: Oh the sugar. I was two seconds too late to grab the bag before he tipped it upside down. Good thing it was only half full. So, of course, my next thought was to grab the camera. :)

Eighteen months. Wow. I can't believe we made it. Time flies. Our little boy is now in nursery. He loves the toys, but doesn't do too well when we leave. Poor guy. He'll get used to it soon enough. I'm grateful for patient nursery leaders. Sadly, one of the first weeks he went, he came home with a nasty fever. The fever persisted for over a week before we figured out what it was. After 2 doctors visits, lab testing and an ER visit after his fever spiked to 104.1F, a doctor discovered by dumb luck that he had strep, even though he only had one symptom. I'm grateful for antibiotics. Because of that, we laid low for 2 weeks.

Thankfully during that time, K1 decided he liked me reading books to him. Granted, the books need to be fairly short, and he does better if they have rhyming elements, but he loves reading now. His new favorite is 'The Ear book'. We'll read that thing 5 to 10 times in a row. I have it memorized. "tick, tock, tick, tock. Ears, our ears they hear a clock...." I'll stop. Speaking of ears, K1 finally grasped the idea of body parts. He can now locate his mouth, nose, ears, eyes, hair, tongue (by happily sticking it out), feet and, of course, his belly button.

He's now very good at pointing to things and 'talking about them'. The pointing has come in handy. We now get a better idea of what he wants when he yells at us. Oh man. He can really scream. He's developed quite a tantrum. His whole body tenses and he'll just scream. Sometimes I can't help but laugh.

His 18 month appointment is next week and I will post stats after we go.
18 mo: Wearing the pig apron that was given to sister.
18 mo: wearing my headband. He'd be pretty cute as a girl.

K1- I want to specifically write you a little note telling you how much I love you. I write notes, like this one, in my head all the time to tell you how much I care for you and to tell you how cute your antics are. I've never been happier in my life and I know it is because you are such a big part of it. There are many nights I sneak into your room and lift your sleeping body out of your crib just so I can hold you and smell your hair and silently thank our heavenly father for this bit of heaven that thankfully gets to be with me for eternity. I love that you drink your bottle in bed with me every morning, and rub/pat my back when I pick you up sometimes. I'll never forget all the slobbery kisses you give me. I'm sorry for the times when I lose my temper because 'you're getting in the way'. You are never are in the way, I'm just trying to be better about letting you be in my space and learning that time doesn't matter that much. Essentially, thank you for helping me hone my priorities and patience skills. I love hearing the sound of your pattering feet and babble. I still have a hard time leaving you with someone else for more than an hour. When I'm away from you I think about you almost constantly. I've loved the time that we've had together, just you and I. It'll be interesting to see how things change once your sister arrives. I know you'll be a sweet and loving older brother. Love you more than you know. ~Mommy

Comments

Emily Hamilton said…
He is such a cute kid! We sure luv Alex. He is growing up so fast. He'll be a great big brother.
Kelli said…
I can't believe how that kid climbs! He must really keep you on your toes!!

Popular Posts