Nose in a Book
One of my new years resolutions was to always be reading, and I struggled with my goal at first because when I read, that is all I want to do. I would rather read a book in one or two sittings than read it a chapter or two at a time. Because of this dilemma, I feel like I don't get anything done.
But I was wrong.
A week ago Friday, I was babysitting for a friend and both the boys were taking naps. I perused their book collection and saw The Book Thief. I remember my brother and sister-in-law enthusiastically recommending it almost two years ago, so I decided to pick it up. I blasted through 80+ pages in an hour and a half. At that point I knew I had to finish it. I asked my friend if I could borrow it and then took it home. As I predicted, I spent my evening free time and K1's morning nap reading and finished the book. I loved it! It's a WWII book and is narrated by Death (who is actually quite humorous). It swears quite a bit in German, but other than that it is wonderful.
In some ways I was disappointed with myself because I spent so much time reading, but conversely I observed that I would normally use that time to aimlessly surf the web or facebook or something else. That being said, I would rather spend my time reading a book than be on the computer (hence my time away from blogging, along with a few other factors).
Because of this small epiphany, I decided to tackle the Twilight Saga (don't judge!). I've been wanting to read them for years now (especially when all my college roommates couldn't stop talking about them) but never could commit because of my previously mentioned fear. Many people say that Stephenie Meyer's writing is unremarkable, but who said someone's writing had to be stellar for it to be entertaining? I've finished Twilight and am a third of the way through New Moon.
I still haven't decided what team I'm on ... to be continued.
But I was wrong.
A week ago Friday, I was babysitting for a friend and both the boys were taking naps. I perused their book collection and saw The Book Thief. I remember my brother and sister-in-law enthusiastically recommending it almost two years ago, so I decided to pick it up. I blasted through 80+ pages in an hour and a half. At that point I knew I had to finish it. I asked my friend if I could borrow it and then took it home. As I predicted, I spent my evening free time and K1's morning nap reading and finished the book. I loved it! It's a WWII book and is narrated by Death (who is actually quite humorous). It swears quite a bit in German, but other than that it is wonderful.
In some ways I was disappointed with myself because I spent so much time reading, but conversely I observed that I would normally use that time to aimlessly surf the web or facebook or something else. That being said, I would rather spend my time reading a book than be on the computer (hence my time away from blogging, along with a few other factors).
Because of this small epiphany, I decided to tackle the Twilight Saga (don't judge!). I've been wanting to read them for years now (especially when all my college roommates couldn't stop talking about them) but never could commit because of my previously mentioned fear. Many people say that Stephenie Meyer's writing is unremarkable, but who said someone's writing had to be stellar for it to be entertaining? I've finished Twilight and am a third of the way through New Moon.
I still haven't decided what team I'm on ... to be continued.


Comments
As for Twilight, I'm interested to hear how you like the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th books. I read them while I was teaching junior high since all the girls raved about them. I don't want to tell you my thoughts and sway your thinking in any way. So you'll have to write about what you think of them.
By the way, did you know there's another book written from Edward's perspective? It's on S. Meyer's website and she explains why she's not going to publish it. But I think it made me like the books a little more.
Twilight Saga--good. Entertaining read. My opinion was that it was more mature than teen reading though....
Another recommendation for you: The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. It's a series of 4 books, and they are really worth reading. Fiction, funny, and thought-provoking.