Niklaustag

Happy Niklaustag!...or for those of us who don't speak German... Happy Saint Nickolas Day! In Germany, December 6th is the day that Saint Nickolas comes and puts candy or coal in people's shoes. Children set out their shoes the night before and (hopefully) wake up with candy in them. I really like this holiday because it still celebrates "Santa" (Sankt Niklaus) but leaves the 25th for celebrating Christ. The Germans knew what they were doing. Anyway, I decided to celebrate by making some German foods. I went to a local German Gourmet and started walking around. I had no idea what I was doing and couldn't read anything (hardly). In the end, I picked up some seasoning packets, spaetzle, knoedel, hit cookies, and a bunch of chocolate :).

The day of I made rotkohl, a roast with sauerbraten seasoning, and mushroom knoedel. It was definitely interesting. Can't say I'm a huge fan of rotkohl or knoedel, but they were fun for the occasion. I have big plans for next year!
Here are our shoes! Even K1 got something. No, I didn't let him eat it. I figured if I ate it for him, he'd eventually get some ;).
We finished everything off with some hot chocolate and Hit cookies dipped in whipped cream (a mission favorite for PC) while watching the first presidency Christmas broadcast.
Yummy!

Comments

AndreaF said…
We have loved this tradition and have had a huge feast of rouladen, rohtkohl, potato dumplings, etc, every year...except this year. :( Just too darn much going on for me to conquer that one. We did have the kids put their shoes outside though and they did wake up to treats! You should try rouladen sometime. SOOO yummy!!!
AndreaF said…
Yum! We have done this every year with a big feat- rouladen, rohtkohl, potato dumplings, etc. Of course chocolate! I didn't get to it this year due to our crazy circumstances. :( Next year for sure. The kids did out their shoes out and find treats though. Fun tradition!
BYU Hottie said…
I'm jealous....you can have hot chocolate? Lucky you! Little baby's digestive system doesn't like chocolate, so I must refrain...*sniff*
How fun though! Good for you for keeping up traditions!

Popular Posts