He has arrived!

PC here. MC is currently cuddling our son, who arrived today. Here, then, is the story:

AT 5:30 AM this morning, MC woke me up to inform me that she had been feeling contractions consistently since at least 4 this morning. We decided that we wanted to head to the hospital once the contractions were "close together"....for our metric, that would be 2-4 minutes apart consistently (please, no comments about the wisdom or lack thereof of this metric--it is just what we chose).

We have church at 9 AM, and since MC had nothing else she wanted to do, we decided we might as well head off to church (with our hospital bag in the car and the car itself parked in the "getaway" position at the church). Her contractions stayed around 5 minutes apart all morning--up until we headed home at 11:30 AM to see if we couldn't eat something before heading off. (ok, who am I kidding: for ME to eat something before the big stuff happened--MC ate a little bit) The contractions suddenly intensified and got closer together at around 11:45. We hopped in the car and drove the 5 minutes to the hospital.

When we checked in at noon, MC was dilated to a 3. Her goal was to use "hypnobirthing" to deliver this child, so she never got an IV and no epidural. Her contractions really intensified shortly after we arrived; for a while, she almost lost control of her emotions and fear. However, the nurse tasked with helping us turned out to be exactly what MC needed. She came in and spent the rest of the time with us--between 1 PM and 4 PM MC went from a 3 to complete. It was hard for me to watch at times.

The little kid's head became visible, but he didn't come for about 15-20 minutes--in my mind, a long time for "pushing". It was quite painful for MC while he hung out there, the tip of his head showing. She got him all the way out, though, and he is a healthy kid:

8 pounds, 4 ounces and 20 inches long. In PC terms, that is a big kid. Here he is:
He has a full head of blond hair, and may or may not look like either of us. All in all, MC did a wonderful job bringing him into this world. She and K1 are doing great, and we look forward to many adventures in the future with him in tow.

Comments

Kiley said…
Congratulations and way to go! He's a cute one! I'm excited to meet him!
Anonymous said…
oh my goodness eve hats off to no epidural. i didn't last too long withou one. but you'll have to get more pictures up! He sure is cute!!
Tracy said…
I am soooo.... happy for you both! So wierd for me to think that PC is a daddy :) but I am happy none the less!!!! Congratulations to all of you!!
Mal Pal said…
Holy crap I'm so happy for you! I love that picture of you in blue, so cute! And no epidural?! Just when I thought you couldn't be any tougher... love you!
AndreaF said…
I wish I knew you were doing the hypnobirthing thing. We did that with Matthew- did the classes and everything and had a wonderful experience. Even a waterbirth with him. Glad it went so well. He really is a beautiful boy!! Give him some extra kisses from us!
CHS officers said…
Yay! Congrats guys! He is a BEAUTIFUL little boy! I fly out tomorrow night and I want to come visit you guys! Expect a phone call! Much love!

Popular Posts