Fowles, Fellows & The Fourth

This year PC and I were able to spend our Fourth of July with his side of the family! It was an unexpected reunion and under sad circumstances, but we were excited to see everyone nonetheless. PC's grandpa 'Gene' passed away and was to be buried in the Salt Lake cemetery. The funeral services took place on the 5th and 6th and so the family was conveniently able to spend the 4th together.

The day began with the famous Provo parade. The Fowles would go to this parade whenever they lived in Utah. I had never been and was curious to experience it in 'all it's glory'. Like other parades, it had lots of great school bands, floats and government officials driving in fancy cars. Sadly, I was too far back to catch any candy. The most interesting part was when PC and I got lost trying to find our car because we memorized the wrong streets. I don't know how you do that...but we did. PC and I grabbed pizza from the Brick Oven (another Fowles tradition) and headed to a park to meet up with PC's sister/kids and his parents. After chatting and filling our bellies, PC and I drove to Salt Lake to visit some friends and then stake out our spot for watching fireworks at Murray Park.

Everyone met us at the park at 5:30 and we ate a very tasty dinner. It doesn't get much better than grilled chicken, corn on the cob, fruit salad, chips, drinks, and grandpa even showed up with dunford donuts (yet another Fowles tradition) and popsicles. The kids played and the siblings all got (relatively) caught up. The fireworks didn't start until 10, which made for some restless/grumpy kiddies, but they were well worth the wait. The next morning we attended church at the Fowles old ward and blessed our newest nephew there. It was so great seeing all the brothers standing in the circle together. The priesthood rocks. 'nough said. We then headed to PC's aunts house for lunch and to see more extended family.

The viewing for grandpa Gene that evening was a lively affair. I'm used to viewings being fairly quiet and subdued gatherings, but not for the Fellows! People were laughing and telling stories and reconnecting. The next morning we had the funeral services. It consisted of the eulogy, a poem, lots of stories and a musical number. People were laughing and crying. The graveside followed at the cemetery and then we had a luncheon. After many pictures and goodbyes, PC and I headed home.

**Now for the reason I don't have ANY pictures in this post. We left PC's camera at the luncheon and it is now at his uncle's house in Centerville. Until we retrieve it, this post will be picture-less. Sorry!

Comments

PC said…
Leave it to me to forget that!

Popular Posts